Money Matters: an Introduction to Financial Literacy
- Spending Plans & budgeting
- Banking Basics & financial terms
- Credit and Borrowing
- Tax Returns
- RESPs and other ways to save
Gain the confidence to develop, maintain and adjust a personal/household budget, prepare a tax return, credit and borrowing, RESPs and other ways to save and much more in this four-day course designed to teach you the secrets of managing the all-mighty dollar!
ABC Life Literacy Canada is a non-profit organization that inspires Canadians to increase their literacy skills. We connect and mobilize business, unions, government, communities and individuals to support lifelong learning, and achieve our goals through leadership in programs, communications and partnerships. ABC Life Literacy Canada envisions a Canada where everyone has the skills they need to live a fully engaged life. Learn more: abclifeliteracy.ca
Developed in 2011 by ABC in partnership with Founding Partner TD Bank Group, the Money Matters suite of programs has already reached more than 8000 adult learners. An introductory financial literacy program, it’s written at a grade 6-8 reading level so it can be accessible even to adults who struggle with reading. The goal of Money Matters is to increase the financial literacy skills of Canadian adult learners, which leads to increased confidence in managing their personal finances.
What does Money Matters look like?
• It’s an in-class, workbook-based program that’s written in clear language
• It can be delivered by your staff or with the help of trained TD Bank Group volunteer-tutors
• Each two-hour workshop includes discussion questions and real-world examples and activities
- Spending Plans – A spending plan is a plan for how you will spend your money so that you can best meet your needs. It is also called a budget.
- Banking Basics – This workbook is about banks and banking. It’s about the choices you can make about where to keep your money. You’ll learn about bank accounts and which type might be best for your money needs.
- Borrowing Money – You’ll look at different kinds of credit and the cost of borrowing. You’ll also learn about ways to plan-ahead for when you need to borrow money.
- Ways to Save – This workbook is about how to save money and different types of savings accounts. You’ll learn about ways to help your money grow over time.
- Smart Shopping – This workbook is about how to save money and different types of savings accounts. You’ll learn about ways to help your money grow over time.